Today’s spring cleaning checklist is all about one place we spend a lot of our time: the dining (and/or breakfast) room. This is the heart of the house, the entertaining hub, and one of my favorite places to linger with friends and family over a decadent dessert, yummy drink, or hearty appetizers. Thus, since it gets plenty of action, it’s usually in dire need of cleaning, especially during my deep spring cleaning session, so here’s my checklist for the dining room:*
- Vaccuum / Swiffer all floors
- Dust all light fixtures and replace burned-out bulbs
- Stock up on the lightbulbs for whichever fixtures you have
- Deodorize and wipe down each chair at the table
- Disinfect your table and polish it with the appropriate polish for the table’s finish
- Remove all decor items and clean them thoroughly
- Wash, dry, and replace any window coverings
- Vacuum / beat any rugs in the room
- If you have a bar cart, take everything out of it and thoroughly wipe it down. Replace all necessary items; discard broken / unneeded items
- If you have a china hutch, take everything out of it and thoroughly clean and polish it. Replace all necessary items; discard broken / unneeded items
- Thoroughly clean your blinds, window, and windowsill (if applicable)
- Add a wallflower or candle for fragrance in the room long after you’ve cleaned!
*Tailor this list to suit your home. If you only have a breakfast room, go ahead and work in there; if you have a breakfast and dining room, like I do, you’ll have double duty!
Pat yourself on the back as you tackle each room– you’re going to be so glad you did! Hope you’re having a great day!